Why is Thirty30 Tennis better than FAST4?
Updated: Jul 8, 2019
FAST4 provides an alternative shorter scoring method to traditional tennis scoring and is included in the 2018 ITF Rules of Tennis Appendix V Alternative Procedures and Scoring Methods.
FAST4 was introduced by Tennis Australia to create shorter matches.
There has been a wide uptake of FAST4 in competitive tennis over recent years.
Summary of FAST4
- A set is completed when a player reaches four games.
- A 'Short Set Tie-Break' is played if the score reaches three games all.
- The 'No-Ad' and 'No Let' rules ARE USED.
Summary of Thirty30
Thirty30 has been created as an alternative to FAST4.
- Every game starts at 30-30, announced "Thirty30".
- A 'Short Set Tie-Break' is played if the score reaches six games all.
- Change ends after 2, 6 and 10 games are played in each set.
- The 'No-Ad' and 'No Let' rules ARE NOT USED.
Why is Thirty30 is better than FAST4?
- Thirty30 retains sets to six games, lead by two.
- Thirty30 retains the Tie-Break at six games all.
- Thirty30 retains the traditional deuce and Ad-points.
- Thirty30 matches build in a similar fashion to traditional tennis and the game score ticks over more quickly resulting in more dynamic matches.
- Thirty30 matches contain many more 'big-points' - every second point is a game-point!
FAST4 produces less 'big-points' due to the "No-Ad” scoring and shorter sets to only 4 games.
- There are more intense and exciting moments during Thirty30 and end-of-set’s dramas are reached more quickly – a best of 3 sets match takes no longer than 60 minutes; best of 5 sets no longer than 90 minutes.
- A Thirty30 match result is identical to traditional tennis, e.g. 7-5, 1-6, 2-6, 7-6, 8-6, i.e. the 'final set - lead by 2 games rule' is retained.
A FAST4 match score is e.g. 4-2, 1-4, 2-4, 4-3, 4-3.
- Changing from traditional tennis scoring to Thirty30 is very simple and is seamless for players, spectators, officials and viewers.
- "Thirty30” is instantly recognisable as being associated with tennis, i.e. the clue is in the name - where every game starts at 30-30. “FAST4” is not.
- Used as a '3rd set match-decider', a Thirty30 set (lead by 2 games) provides a better and fairer alternative to the Match Tie-Break (10 points).
- Thirty30 introduces orange and green ball players to the understanding of tennis scoring and provides a more seamless transition from orange/green to yellow ball tennis by playing sets to 6 games, deuce & ad points, etc. instead of using 'tie-break matches to 7 or 10 points'.
Thirty30 and FAST4 both produce shorter matches but Thirty30 is more dynamic and retains the traditions of tennis far better.
FAST4 only produces traditional matches that have just been cut short.
Thirty30 produces matches that still FEEL, LOOK and SOUND like traditional tennis.
Maintaining the traditions of tennis is key to any success with shorter formats in the future, and retaining 'sets to 6 games' and 'tie-breaks at 6 games all' and playing the 'Ad-points' are crucial to that success.
Is the Thirty30 format better than FAST4?
An emphatic YES! But make up your own mind.
TRY THIRTY30 TENNIS NOW!
And find out for yourself!
Since trialling of Thirty30 was launched all over the world at the end of December 2017 it has been receiving very encouraging feedback (now 170+) and this can be found on the page link below:
Thirty30 tennis – FEELS, LOOKS and SOUNDS like traditional tennis!
Thirty30 tennis – Where EVERY Point REALLY Counts!
Thirty30 tennis – Have You Tried It Yet?