Discussing the advantages of Thirty30 Padel - a shorter and faster-paced scoring format
Thirty30 Padel does not upset the fundamental scoring system of conventional padel and maintains the DNA of traditional padel.
(1) Sets to 6 games (lead by 2) are retained.
e.g. a best-of-3 sets match can be won by 7-6(3), 2-6, 8-6 - the match result looks identical to that produced using the traditional scoring method.
(2) The 'deuce / advantage points exchanges / grinds' is retained. The use of the "Golden Point" is optional.
(3) The tie-break played at 6-games all to decide a set is retained.
(4) Winning "2 points in a row" to win a game is retained.
(5) The traditional final Advantage set (lead by 2 games) is retained.
All unlike the other shorter scoring formats!
Thirty30 Padel produces:
- shorter, faster moving, more dynamic and more “bite-size” intense exciting periods of play, ideal for the younger generation and for television / streaming, etc.
A set is completed in no longer than 20 minutes; best-of-3 sets in 40-60 minutes and best-of-5 sets in 60-90 minutes.
- shorter matches or events that are less physically demanding, easier on the body and helps longevity.
- padel matches that FEEL, LOOK and SOUND like traditional matches and "Where EVERY Point REALLY Counts!" - every second point played is a game point!
- more unpredictable sets - there are more opportunities created to break serve – the receiver has only to win one out of the first two points to take the game to deuce.
Some benefits and advantages of Thirty30 Padel are:
- The 'doubled-up' Change of Ends Rule (See Rule #2 below) is great for playing doubles. After the initial 2 games are played, all 4 players serve before changing ends again. This halves the total number of Change of Ends during a match and increases the efficiency of time spent on court.
- The transition from the traditional scoring method to the Thirty30 scoring method and back again is seamless for players, audiences and officials. The rules are extremely similar and very simple.
- 100% focus and concentration is required 100% of the time. There is no opportunity to switch off. The quality of a Thirty30 match is higher.
- Starting every game from 30-all (30-30), announced “thirty-thirty" to differentiate it from traditional padel, creates a set of padel where the dynamics are changed – the set's game scores tick along more rapidly. There are more ‘big points’ and there are less meaningless points and less dead periods during a match. End-of-set’s dramas are reached more quickly (and more often if playing best-of-5 sets).
- Matches build in a similar fashion to traditional padel.
- A great way for kids to develop set play.
- Helps promote competition by encouraging players to play the shorter Thirty30 sets.
- Also, a Thirty30 final set (lead by 2 games), used as a ‘3rd set match-decider’, provides a more fitting and fairer climax to a 3 set match than the now commonly used Match Tie-Break (10 points).
- A greater number of Thirty30 matches can be completed in the same time, e.g. a tournament ‘Session’ will have more matches and spectators will see more players compete.
- The shorter length matches ensure a quicker turnaround of matches and is ideal for round-robin and compass draw format events, i.e. players will play more matches against more opponents in the same time.
- A Thirty30 Padel "Grand Slam" Competition playing best-of-5 sets matches (match length 60-90 minutes) can be played.
Thirty30 Padel can be used:
- To invigorate padel and to attract youngsters to start playing.
- For social / mixer club events.
- During a typical indoor or outdoor court booking time-slot of one hour, a best-of-3 sets Thirty30 match can be completed.
- When competitions / tournaments or events have suffered from rain delays and matches are required to be shortened in order to complete the event.
- Where competition Referees are limited with number of courts and too little time.
- To shorten inter-club league's match nights.
- For Exhibition, Pro/Am, Legends/Seniors events, as crowd warm-up matches at major events.
- Shorter matches make it possible to play more matches in the same time frame.
By playing the shorter “mini Grand Slam” best-of-5 sets Thirty30 matches, that are completed in less than 2 hours, would provide the opportunity of holding joint men's and women's World Cups together at the same Venue.
i.e. hold a "Thirty30 Padel World Cup" (Women / Men / Mixed) in a similar fashion to the "Twenty20 cricket World Cup" every 2 years - that would be very exciting for everyone involved.
The innovative "Thirty30 'Big Smash' Mixed Gender Team Padel" match format that is a unique combination of using the Thirty30 tennis scoring format and a progressive match scoring method can be used for the 'Mixed' World Cup - for further information see:
Thirty30 'Big Smash' Team Padel Explained
Also, introducing Thirty30+ Padel, a faster version of Thirty30:
Thirty30 Padel – FEELS, LOOKS and SOUNDS like traditional padel!
Thirty30 Padel – Where EVERY Point REALLY Counts!
Thirty30 Padel – Have You Tried It Yet?
Any questions? Please contact:
Mark J Milne, Arbroath, Scotland
Creator of Thirty30 padel