Thirty30 Blog – Patrick Mouratoglou’s 'wacky new vision for tennis' – Ultimate Tennis Showdown (UTS)
Updated: Jun 10
Patrick Mouratoglou talks about his “wacky new vision for tennis” (Ultimate Tennis Showdown – UTS) with GQ’s Colin Groundwater.
ULTIMATE TENNIS SHOWDOWN EXPLAINED
SUMMARY OF ULTIMATE TENNIS SHOWDOWN (UTS) RULES
SUMMARY OF THE UTS PLAYING CARDS
- UTS4 trialled using only one serve instead of two serves.
- In UTS1 to 3 the 'quarters' were 10 minutes each. This was reduced to 8 minutes in UTS4.
- Note that there are no change of ends during each quarter.
EXAMPLE UTS4 MATCH RESULTS
SUMMARY OF THIRTY30 TENNIS RULES
THIRTY30 (T30) TENNIS COMMENT
Thirty30 Tennis is an alternative shorter faster-paced scoring method to UTS.
Scoring is identical to traditional tennis except every game starts at 30-30, i.e. "thirty-thirty" - Thirty30 - the clue is in the name!
At the start of each 'SHORT GAME' the score of "Thirty-Thirty" is announced.
Thirty30 tennis respects the main traditions of tennis and retains the following:
- Sets are still played to 6 games (lead by 2 games).
- The final set is an ‘Advantage Set’ (i.e. lead by 2 games).
- A Tie-Break is still played at 6 games all in a ‘Tie-Break’ set.
- The Deuce and Advantage points are still played out in full.
- There are still ‘Game Points’ and ‘Break Points’ during a game.
- There are still ‘Service Game Holds’ and ‘Service Game Breaks’.
- There are still ‘Set Points’ and ‘Match Points’ and a match is not over until the final point has been won.
- Matches are either ‘one Tie-Break Set’ or ‘best-of-three Sets’ (i.e. two Tie-Break Sets and a final Advantage Set) or ‘best-of-five Sets’ (i.e. four Tie-Break Sets and a final Advantage Set’).
- Winning 2 points in a row is still required to win a game.
The ‘change of ends’ Rule is doubled up ensuring that there are less change of ends during a set resulting in more efficient use of time on court.
Thirty30 tennis matches are not timed matches and are very easy to implement at all levels of tennis without the requirement for the additional officiating / administration required for timing of the 8 (or 10) minute quarters & strict 15 seconds between points and the complicated ‘playing of cards’.
Thirty30 tennis is VERY SIMPLE and provides a seamless transition from conventional tennis.
Everything about Thirty30 tennis still FEELS, LOOKS and SOUNDS like traditional tennis – Match results look identical!
One Set is completed in around 20 minutes.
‘Best-of-3 Sets’ matches are completed in 40-60 minutes and ‘Best-of-5 sets’ matches in 60-90 minutes.
Thirty30 Tennis – Where EVERY Point REALLY Counts! Every second point played is a game point! The game score ticks over very quickly!
Thirty30 Tennis – Have You Tried It Yet?
We are looking for people to try Thirty30 tennis and to let us know what you think of it.